Ok, so I admit it’s not been that long really. Just over a month, maybe? But to someone who hasn’t taken a break in all her three years of blogging, it’s feels…weird. And I don’t like it.
But let’s face it, life got on top of me. October was the cue for everything to begin apparently. Not only did I have uni work and reading to keep up with, but every weekend was taken over by some sort of big event (think wedding of close family member) or trip that needed just as much organisation. And me being me, I don’t allow myself nearly enough breaks. So my mental health and physical health took a dive in the process too, which as you can imagine was REAL GREAT TIMING. But hey. It happens.
To be honest I’m being quite blasé about all this in comparison to the stress it caused me. Every physical indicator of stress decided to make its appearance, and some are still sticking around – yes acne, I’m looking at you (and so is EVERYONE ELSE since you refuse to leave my face). And it’s very rare for me to become physically ill, but it reached a point where I became just so run down my body had to prioritise. The joys.
But I’m back! I have things to say. Posts to post. Books to share.
It feels like way too long since I’ve chatted to you folks. Which actually brings me onto the second meaning of my title…
I feel like I’ve lost something here.
When I began this blog, I very quickly built myself a following of people who I loved engaging with and would chat to on a regular basis across all social media. And it was the highlight of my day, every day. Without fail. And yet now, three years on, I feel like I’ve lost that. Now I’m not saying this to blame anyone – if it’s anyone’s fault, it’d be my own for letting my own blog-hopping and active engagement on other people’s blogs drop drastically. But there’s that, and the fact that a lot of the people who I used to chat to might not be active bloggers anymore. It’s perfectly natural, and yet I can’t help feeling slightly down about it sometimes. I almost feel like I’ve let people go without realising, lost friends in a quiet way. I’m still beyond thankful for them accepting and supporting me so readily.
(#deep, I know. I’m almost done with the soppy crap I promise)
And that’s not to say I don’t get any comments at all. I do, and I see all of you who comment and appreciate you more than you can believe. I have people who I engage with via booktube or twitter or instagram, and people who I hope I can call friends. But maybe those people don’t actively follow or make a habit of commenting on people’s blogs, which is perfectly fine too. Blogs aren’t for everyone (they weren’t even for me until I started my own). It just feels like there’s a severe imbalance between my blog and booktube now. Booktube is what I’ve always wanted to do, but blogging was my first point of call. And I know that in the grand scheme of things booktube tends to be more popular anyway – I just didn’t want to let my blog drop completely. And I know things haven’t gone that pear shaped yet – hey, surely someone is reading this, right? (*waves*) – but I do feel like I need to rebuild my engagement for my blog.
So here I am. I’m back. I’m back and on a mission of sorts.
I have posts planned, lots of them. I hope I can interact with other bloggers more and make a better habit of reading/commenting on other people’s blog posts. I can’t promise I’ll have posts uploaded every week like I used to, but I’ll try my damned best to stay near that mark. And I hope, I really do hope, that I can give this lil blog of mine a bit of a revival.
Fancy a peep at what’s coming?
- My Book Haul Highlights – I do all book hauls over on my booktube channel now, but I’m definitely going to be featuring a highlights reel of sorts here on my blog where I talk about the books I’m most excited for! It’s going to be a hard one, because my upcoming book haul is full of incredible sounding books, but there’s definitely a few I want to chat about. And the full video will be at the bottom of the post in case you missed the full haul and fancied checking it out!
- My Recent Favourites – there’s been a fair few random things I’ve been loving lately, so why not chat about them? I’ve been thinking of recreating my monthly favourites set up I used to have, which you can check out here – what do you think? Let me know!
- A Christmas Gift Guide – I mean, t’is the season, right? I’ve gradually been compiling together a bookish gift guide, but this time a little different. I’m hoping that I can recommend specific independent places for you to shop at, helping support small businesses in the process of christmas shopping! It should be up towards the end of November/beginning of December, so be sure to keep a look out!
- British & Irish Folktales Review – My current read is a collection of British and Irish Folktales, something I’ve not read much of before despite my love for folktales. There should be a review up soon once I’ve finished it!
- Under 100 by 2019 Update – remember that challenge I set myself? Yeah…let’s see how badly I’m failing 😆
SO those are my upcoming plans! Phew, quite a few. I’d love to know if you’re particularly excited about any of those posts mentioned above. I’ve not decided on which order they’ll be uploaded yet, so maybe you can help me decide!
I hope this lonnnng ramble hasn’t overwhelmed anyone. I’ve just been questioning my place in the book blogging community for a little while now, so I hope I can cement it back in place a little more.
For everyone that’s here now, whether you’ve been here all along or just arrived today with this post, I appreciate you being here. Thank you ❤
Until next time,